The USAID Clean Cities Blue Ocean program announces the following consultancy opening. Please apply on the website of the prime contractor (Tetra Tech):
Vector-borne Disease and Community Researcher for Clean Cities Blue Ocean (US-Based Remote) - Careers at Tetra Tech International Development (tetratechintdev.com).
DEADLINE: DECEMBER 15, 2022
The SBC and Gender Director mentioned in the ad is a WAPA member.
Location(s): Remote, USA
Hire Type(s): US-Based Applicant
Experience: 6-9 Years
The USAID-funded Clean Cities Blue Ocean project in the USA, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development, is currently accepting expressions of interest for Vector-borne Disease and Community Researcher. The assignment will be completed between 01 Jan 2023 to 31 July 2023. The assignment does not require a full-time or even half-time commitment.
The Vector-borne Disease and Community Researcher will develop a policy paper on health risks associated with used tires storage and recycling and will conduct desk research on the topic of vector-borne diseases endemic or epidemic.
* Meet with the CCBO Director of Social and Behavior Change and Gender, CCBO Chief of Party, and other CCBO staff to discuss the scope of work and CCBO expectations. (Probably remotely)
* Conduct desk research on the topic of vector -borne diseases endemic or epidemic to southeast Asia, especially Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam; Sri Lanka, Maldives; Latin America and the Caribbean, especially Peru and the Dominican Republic, and Melanesia, Micronesia, and their relation to mosquito vectors breeding in tires and other waste plastic.
* Meet with the CCBO SBC and Gender Director remotely bi-weekly or as needed to discuss progress and preliminary findings, as applicable.
* Attend meetings and debrief with USAID remotely, as requested by CCBO.
* Hold discussions with organizations and experts working in vector-borne diseases and mosquito and other relevant vector breeding behavior and plastic waste, especially tires, accompanied by CCBO staff, as requested by CCBO.
* Write a white paper summarizing the literature on the subject, an analysis of the findings, and practical recommendations for tire and waste plastic storage, disposal, and treatment to avoid acting as vector breeding grounds—format and further content of the report will be agreed upon with CCBO.
* Vet the white paper with designated CCBO staff; CCBO staff may ask for outside review.
* Revise paper, as needed, based on first and subsequent round(s) of comments.
* Must have a Ph.D. in Entomology, a social science, or public health.
* Must have 8 years of experience in vector-borne diseases.
* Must have previous experience writing white papers, reviewing articles or publishing papers.
* Must have fluent proficiency in English speaking and writing.
* Must be affiliated with a university or have easy access to a university library as well as academic and other databases that can provide the sources for the white paper.
* U.S. work authorization required.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
* Writing Sample (must be sole authorship and no more than 10 pages)
Please ensure that your Cover Letter and CV/Resume are uploaded and submit only the requested documentation as part of your application. Incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state and federal authorities.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 21,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.