Join us for WAPA’s last gathering of the 2010 -2011 year at the Clara Barton Park on Sunday, June 12, from 9:45 am to 3:00 pm. Activities will include tours of the Clara Barton House and Glen Echo Park, followed by lunch in the picnic area. Space on the tours is limited, so please register early. Friends and family are welcome.
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Civil Way, and the significant amount of local history associated with the battles, we invite you to tour the Clara Barton home where National Park Service guides will discuss her work during the war, and her efforts for many years afterward to identify missing soldiers. We will also tour Glen Echo to learn about its long history, the efforts to integrate the park, and its current uses by the community. We will finish up with a summer picnic, with plenty of time to network and catch up with fellow Wapaistas.
- Tours of the Clara Barton House and Glen Echo Park each last 45 minutes and will take place concurrently. Tours are limited to 15 people each.
- WAPA has reserved 2 rounds of tours starting at 10:00 and 11:00, so a total of 30 people can take both tours.
- There is no charge for the tours, but registration is required. Please register as soon as possible so additional tours can be arranged if more than 30 people want to participate.
Potluck picnic lunch:
- Lunch will be held at the main picnic area (tables only – no grills) starting at 12:00 noon.
- WAPA will provide drinks, cups, paper supplies and utensils, also trash bags and aluminum foil.
- Please bring the following potluck dish based on the first letter of your last name:
A – G: salad/side dish
H – P: main course
Q – Z: dessert
- Registration is not required unless you are planning to attend the tours.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
- Click here for directions. Parking is free.
- Members interested in carpooling can use the Google discussion group (email@example.com) to make arrangements.
CLBA Pre-visit Information.pdf